Know More about IRCTC Tatkal Bookings
This article is mainly to educate passengers about the scheme of last-minute ticket bookings in Indian Railways. Here is some important information regarding the IRCTC tatkal availability of booking tickets:
This scheme of ticket booking was open two days prior to the date of the journey; however recently, the rules have changed and it is now available only one day prior to the date of journey. That is, if the train departs on the second of the month, then the bookings open on the first of the month.
- Ticket bookings open at 8:00 AM on the day before the date of journey.
- One can book the tickets either physically from the ticket booking counters, or online through the ticket booking websites.
- There are no separate trains for this form of booking. These seats, specially allotted in few numbers, vary from train to train.
- There are no special charges for the Tatkal scheme as opposed to the earlier rules, wherein one had to pay for the full distance traveled by the train irrespective of the passenger’s point of destination.
- Earlier a passenger could book a maximum of four tickets under this scheme; however, now the rules have changed and each person can book only four tickets per head.
- While booking the ticket, at least one person must produce their ID for identification purposes. Passengers must also carry the ID during the travel as well.
With these new rules of the IRCTC tatkal scheme, one can plan a trip and if need be, make use of this scheme and book tickets accordingly.